Members Present: Lions Shauna & Roger Davies, Laurie-Ann & Alex White, Glen and Christine Bly, Elizabeth Olsen, and guest Catherine Xia Cai. Regrets: Deanna Friday
Minutes: Posted online by Lion Roger and approved by all. Minutes are posted on the Lion’s website (here) at magrathlions.com.
Discussion Arising from the Minutes:
- Lion Roger reported that he received notice that the 2015 Society Annual Return must be submitted by Nov 2017. Financial reports for 2015 and 2016 have been prepared and approved by Lion Roger and Tom and are presently with Lion Alex for final review and signature. Once those reports are approved, the Annual Returns can be submitted.Annual Report – needs to be reviewed and signed by Alex and Shauna prior to mailing in.
- Lion Roger reported letter of support for Magrath Seniors grant application had been prepared. File copy of same distributed. Letter of Support for the Proposal for the Seniors Outreach Project – has been drafted and sent to the “powers that be”.
- Garage Sale – 27 May – Larger items for sale will be picked up adn moved to arena by Lions Glen Bly and Roger Davies evening of Thursday 25th May from various donators. Items now stored in the Storage Unit will be transferred to the Ice Arena at that time. Any remainding items will be moved Friday morning starting at 9am. Anyone available to start setting up tables and items will be most appreciated. Start time Saturday morning is 0830 hrs, ending at noon. All remaining items not sold will be taken to Lethbridge (Value Village) Saturday afternoon. A Float ($$$) for change is requested for the Garage Sale and if anyone can provide any bags for customers.
- Playground (Lion’s Park /Fish Pond) – Alex stated that we will get a smaller Apollo, priced $18,700 plus 6x plastic border trim. Wayne and Alex discussed how and where to attach the Apollo near the Pirate Ship at the Fish Pond. There is a quote for the gravel required coming from Wayne Quinton. We potentially picked 16/17 June (Fri or Sat) for equipment set up. There will be an authorized/qualified person from Blue Imp to assist in the set up. Alex will ask if he can be there on that Saturday. We will get volunteers to assist in the assembly plus applicable tools required.
Guest Catherine Xia Cai suggestions:
- Suggestion that Lions Club sponsor/organize an annual Free Yard Sale/ Free Cycle Event – possible date the same weekend as the No Cost Clothing Exchange – 25/26 August. Posters and instructions to be provided by Lions Club. Homeowners would place items on their front lawn with signs indicating what is Free to Take. This could take place Friday evening and Saturday
- Possible Project: Free Outdoor Library Boxes – a storage item to be built/created for people to place books so that people can take and return books. This would probably need to be placed in a well-lit, secure area to prevent potential vandalism.
- There is also a need for someone to take on the Santa’s Gone Loonie project as previous organizer has indicated she is unable to continue this annual event. Catherine suggests that maybe the Lions could help continue this project. To be discussed at future meetings.
- New Lions Club Shirts – Christine will research and send us information concerning ordering new Lion’s shirts.
- Next Meeting – exact date/time tba but planning for Fri/Sat 16/17 June – 9am during the proposed Apollo Playground Equipment set up. Lunch could be arranged by Club or provided by Magrath Café (subs).