26 October 2013
Regrets: Tracie Smith, Lawrence, Devar Dahl, Sharon and Tom Spackman
Our last meeting was on the Service Day in October. We had our unofficial picnic in August with a few members present.
- Christmas Child Boxes starting November 1, 2013
- Hometown Christmas December 5, 2013
- Casino Event January 25/26 2014
- Drop off gift bags at the school November 4 th at 09:30 am in all Elementary Classrooms, Junior and High School and various places around town
- Pick up gift bags from the school November 20 th and pack the boxes in the evening at 6 pm at Sash
- Boxes will be delivered November 22 nd to Lethbridge
- The Leo’s must be given things to do (Christmas boxes, Clothing exchange, Raking Leaves, Wall Mural, etc)
- Leo’s would like Lion’s T-shirts
- Roger is having a meeting with the Leo’s next week
- It was suggested by Elizabeth Olsen to put plywood on the wall, prior to the painting of the mural. If not the paint will peel off the wall in time
- Leo’s could paint it throughout the year, indoors and then when the weather is favourable, the mural can be attached to the wall
- It was also suggested by Elizabeth Olsen to have the Lion’s crest/emblem underneath the painting (Lion’s We Serve)
- No Cost Clothing Exchange went very well
- Only 35 bags were left afterwards
- We will have the Clothing Exchange once a year, in September
Minutes by Lion Laurie-Ann
Club Secretary 2013-14
Correspondence: To DG Monte Weisser Discrict 37N
We will be unable to meet with you and the Raymond Lions club on Monday, however, I can report that the Magrath Lions Club is keeping busy in other areas, despite our challenges in getting more members and finding a time where all can meet together. We are starting our annual Christmas Box drive this month (to the 22 Nov - last year we collected 130 boxes for donation to Samaritans Purse from Magrath). December we are sponsoring a community choir to sing at the Magrath Community Christmas Choir Festival on 15 Dec and in Jan 2014 we are scheduled to work a fundraiser at Lethbridge Casino to raise funds toward a gazebo at the head of the Magrath Trail system. We are also proceeding with the sponsoring of a new Alpha Leos club in conjunction with the Magrath Jr/Sr High School. We also maintain an extensive website at magrathlions.com that assists us in our work here in Magrath. We also plan to continue with our annual projects, with running the community Food Drive in Apr 2014, ongoing eyeglass collections, our Lions Garage Sale fundraiser in July, and organizing the popular No Cost Clothing event (in Sep 2014).
We have 12 members on record, but a few are rarely seen at meetings and we will lose Lion Elizabeth (my mother, now age 80) for a while in Apr 2014 when she moves to Nauvoo, IL .. for a year and a half. We also struggle to find a time where everyone can meet at the same place. Most of our actual meetings this year have been 'working club events' and we communicate via email and phone calls the rest of the time. On the other hand, we have had great press coverage this year with the recent playground installations here in Magrath (our Terry Trainer Memorial play structure at the Magrath Fish Pond at south of town and other Lions events were covered often in the local papers) and we enjoy a very good working relationship with the local papers, the Town of Magrath, the local school and church leaders.
I trust you read this email in good health and hope we can meet at some future date.
Lion Roger Davies
Magrath Lions Club