31 May 2014
Magrath Lions Club
Magrath, AB T0K 1J0
To whom it may concern.
The Magrath Lions Club has a long history of service in and around Magrath. We support the Greenhouse Project initiative proposed by The Horticultural Division of the Magrath and District Agricultural Society.
The Magrath Lions Club was founded in Magrath, Alberta with 22 charter members in 1938 with Gladstone Balderson as our first Lions Club President. Many of those charter members were farmers and ranchers [it was a gravel road to Lethbridge back then]. Today we carry on with about a dozen active members and continued community volunteer support of our projects. We celebrated our 75th Charter Night in May 2013 and our most recent project was the construction of the Terry Trainer Memorial playground at the local fish pond/campground. The Magrath Lions Club is a proud member of Lions District 37N. Today we rely more on social media and online websites to facilitate our work in the community. Like us at facebook.com/magrathlions or follow our club activities at magrathlions.com
One of our own initiatives is the sponsoring of a Leos youth club at the Magrath School and would encourage them along with our own Lions Club members to assist in this project. Support of this facility could be an area of focus for the Leos (high school aged youth) here in Magrath, in participating in both the educational aspect as well as helping in the maintenance and operations of such a facility.
We believe there is much educational merit in learning to grow food for consumption as well as in conserving local plant species and in increasing awareness of our community history and culture. We currently head an annual community food drive each year to support the Lethbridge area food banks. We would support the growing of fresh produce for donation to a cause like this.
Lion Roger Davies
Club President 2014
Magrath Lions Club