at The Davies 161 W 2nd Ave S Magrath, AB for all Magrath Lions Club members
- Welcome to new members
- Christmas Box 2023 Project
- Peace Poster 2024 Project
- Reports : Finance ; Casino ; Webpage ; other/new -0-
- Events Upcoming
- lions-2023-11-Lions Quest Webinar (optional) Nov 2 from Noon-1 pm MST -1- -2-
- lions-2024-02-District C-2 Convention 2024 Feb 9-10 Medicine Hat Lodge -3- -4- -5-
- lions-2024-04-MDC-Convention 2024 Apr 26-27 Coast Hotel Lethbridge -6-
- upcoming calendar items:
- Fri 2023 Nov 17 last day for Christmas Box drive;
- Thu 2023 Nov 30 Magrath Hometown Christmas [kindness bingo cards Lion Roger, Aubrey];
- Thu 2023 Dec 28 Christmas/New Year party;
- Fri-Sat 2024 Feb 9-10 C-2 Convention Medicine Hat;
- Sat 2024 Apr 20 Food Drive [Lion Roger per stake leaders];
- Fri-Sat 2024 Apr 26-27 MDC Convention Lethbridge;
- Fri-Sat 2024 weelk ending Jun 1 Garage Sale [Lion Alex discuss with town];
- Fri 2023 [end of May or Jun 7] last day for Peace Poster Contest [Lion Aubrey, Elizabeth]
- next meeting Thu 16 Nov 2023 [vs 23] at Noads for christmas box stuffing night [lions Shauna, Aubrey, Ashley, Minnie]
Attending: Lion Roger, Lion Larry, Lions Minerva & Dan & son William-guest, Lion Ashley, Lion Aubrey, , Lions Alex & Laurie Ann, Lion Laurence, Lion Elizabeth. Regrets: Lion Shauna (at work), Lion Catherine (at work). [10:2]
- VP Lion Laurie Ann called us to order 7:00 pm Welcome and introductions.
- Lion Roger reported on current and upcoming projects
- Project Christmas boxes- ordered 100 boxes more and will be available for pickup at Magrath Pharmacy. (for 2023 **please drop off by 6pm on Fri, 17 Nov 2023 at the Magrath Pharmacy**) - budgeting $250 to fill boxes. Motion passed and carried. New members will shop to fill the boxes [SD AO AC MN]. Approved.
- Idea: Approach SASH to see if they might need local versions of christmas boxes for Food Kitchen clients. Larry to talk to Rhonda Murphy. Any to determine if there are any local needs? Beach balls, soccer balls, footballs, baseball. [LM]
- Proposed changing the meeting time to Thursday, Nov 16 ~ 6:30 so we can pack boxes at the Noad house at 254 5th Ave South. Approved.
- SASH would like some help with a food drive for the hampers they do. Lion Alex to inquire. [AW]
- Discussed Project Peace Poster 2024
- Lion Elizabeth has contacted Jordan Brahme at the school. They would like to participate but later in the year. Roger proposed we do the poster project for all HS at the school to end of May or June 7th. [EO AO]
- Discussed having an event for the elementary aged kids to work on the posters. Lions Aubrey and Elizabeth will plan the event with the school. Lion’s International entries limited to students age 11-13. [EO AO]
- Lion Roger told us lost Peace Poster kit has been found now. It is composed of a few pretty pages and cost $102 after shipping and exchange. We will modify and use it for local peace poster contest in Magrath.
We will defer to next for the local high school poster competition. [RD]
- Report [LM] Zone C2 Meeting Tues Oct 17th 6pm at Lethbridge Casino Lions Roger, Shauna, Alex and Larry attended.
- Report [LP] Next Magrath Lions Club casino date is approved for Spring of 2026
- Report [RD] Date for 2024 Community Food Drive set for April 20th after consulting the local church leaders who support us in this event. Flyers handed out a week or two before.
Idea: Talk to Sash about getting someone to help and then they can have some of the food for hampers.
Idea: School lunch program would like a donation from the Lions.
- Discussion: Garage Sale at end of May ending on Sat 1st of June. Lion Alex will contact Town of Magrath Wayne Quinton to see if we can use the Arena for the entire week.
- Report [RD] Roger shared the Lions handbook and calendar and provided club members at quick demo/tour of our Lion’s website, the myLion app, and LCI website. Roger is building in some history of the Magrath Lion’s club eg new page for Lion J Alfred Ririe.
- Lion Dan read the calendar of events (while Roger had it up on the big screen).
- Lions Quest Webinar
- District C2 convention in Medicine Hat Feb 9& 10, 2024. Registration by end of January.
- MDC Convention at Coast Hotel in Lethbridge April 26 & 27, 2024.
- Discussed use of Casino funds - Lawrence told us about the Use of Proceeds List tells us what we are able to do with the funds. If we write proposals for what we want to spend money on it might be helpful.
- Idea [LM] Magrath school has need of 20 noise cancelling headphones for students who struggle with focus at cost of over $50 each. Lawrence will fill out the form to get educational needs on the list so we can spend money on educational needs when they arise. [LP LM]
- Concept: Lion Roger suggested each of our projects should be included in AGLC documents or added as a new Use of Proceeds request: ie Playgrounds, Food Drive, No Cost Clothing, Peace Poster Contests, Kindness Bingo so we can stabilze funding for these ongoing projects. [RD LP]
- Idea: [AO] Aubrey reported on an event Cardston did last year: a “Be Nice to Your Neighbour Bingo” – Lion Roger suggested a project like this would work well with the upcoming Magrath Home Town Christmas event Thu 30 Nov 2023. Group seemed in favor of a similar project for Magrath. see magrathlions.com/kindness-bingo for plans [RD AO].
- 8:30pm Motion to adjourn.
- Minutes by Lion Larry with updates by Lion Roger.
- Next Meeting: [revised date and time - 3rd Thu] November 16, ,2023 @ 6:30 pm