Members Present: Elizabeth Olsen, Roger & Shauna Davies, Laurie-Ann & Alex White, Christine & Glen Bly, Deanna Friday. Special Guests: Cathy Anderson – 1st Vice District Governor and Steve Clark – Zone Chair
Items to Discuss:
- Community Food Drive will be completed on Sat 22 Apr 2017 – 1300 flyers printed, Bags dropped off by volunteers from various wards and picked up. $250 will be required to print the flyers. Big trailer will be provided by Calvin Heggie of Custom Windows (Thanks!).
- Garage Sale – 27 May 2017 – located at the ice arena. Possibility that we may be charged a fee for the tables. All left over items will be taken to several places. At the garage sale, it could be advertised that we will help fund the school lunch program.
- Food to be set aside by the volunteers for the school kids in need of food in the community. It was suggested that we possible donate money for purchase of food for the food program. Christine Bly made the 1st motion to accept. Suggested that $100/month or $900/year.
- AGLC – current balance sheet was faxed but due to lateness, we have been asked pay $100 late fee. Would like to use this money for the playground. Alex needs to make a proposal and fill out form and submit for approval of request. Roger and Shawna moved to have the fee paid, all members were in favor
- Lion Lawrence’s wife passed away last month and we gave a signed card to him. Lions Elizabeth and Shauna attended the funeral.
- Eye Glass Depot at the Pharmacy has been filled up twice in the last 2 months.
- Election Results will be announced by email (and will posted in next meeting minutes).
Address by Special Guest – Cathy Anderson
Quick notes from 1stVP Cathy: There are 81 clubs in our district .. Greetings from the International President Chancellor Bob Corlew .. This Year’s Motto – “New Mountains to Climb”. Rural areas have more relaxed clubs. These clubs do more here than in cities. They raise money for betterment of the communities. LCIF – our foundation. Donations are down. Collect money for the foundation for Slave Lake, High River, Medicine Hat and Fort McMurray There is $10,000 available for disaster relief in the area (Call LCIF). LCI Forward – new initiative to serve 200 Million by 2021 worldwide Next year, Naresh Aggarwa, in India will initiate the “We Serve” theme again. The local club executive directory is planned to be available as an eDocument which should be easier to keep updated than printed booklets. Also: Lions Commemorative Coin – available for purchase for $55 US + $2.50 shipping; it will be given to recognize members in the Club. Reminder: Convention in Medicine Hat in October. MDC – May 4,5 – Convention – 100th Anniversary in Chicago Next year Cathy will be running for District Governor. April 29th – Training in Strathmore planned for Secretary, President, Treasurer etc (subsequently rescheduled for 22 Apr which conflicted with our Food Drive). Finally: Activity Reports need to be done online so all people know what we are doing.
Meeting Adjourned at 8pm – motion by Glen and 2nd by Deanna
Next Meeting set for 7pm Wed 26 Apr 2017 at Magrath's Cafe.