Attending RD/SD, AW/LW, DD/LD, TS/SS, TS, EO, DB (just missing LP) 11/12
Next Meeting: Thu 11 Oct 2012 7pm
- Welcome by Lion Roger at 7pm. Lion Tracie taking minutes. Noted that 2013 will be our 75th year as a club in Magrath. It may be nice to have events this year reflect this fact - perhaps ribbon cutting at new park, commemorative plaques, etc.
- Discussed Mural Project at Roosters. Lion Deanna reported on status so far: wash and scrape day planned, she has about 20 helpers signed up to assist, need to prime/paint [update: many Lions came out to help wash and scrape Sat 7 Sep. Also completed undercoat Sat 29 Sep 7am-1:30pm thanks to volunteer Abe Wolvers and son who spray painted and loaned use of scaffolding .. also thanks to Town of Magrath for use of barriers and traffic cones and to Jay of Roosters - est 30 man hours for Lions plus 10 man hours other volunteers. Bill for paint due at Home Hardware and reimb Lion Shauna]. Discussed some ideas for mural itself. Town suggest some kind of contest/submissions. Charlotte Anderson loaned a book for ideas to Lion Shauna 'The Toppenish Murals'.
- Lion Elizabeth reported on our new No Cost Clothing project. She would like us to do it every 6 months. Voted upon and approved. Date for the Fall 2012 event is set for Sep 21-22. She has arranged for use of School Auditorium and Tables, Town has some equipment (steel cable and hangers, etc stored at FCSS building, announcments sent to local churches and requests for volunteers made. [update: event was a great success with many donations and volunteers and patrons. Congratulations to Lion Elizabeth and helpers!]
- Lion Tom is heading the Terry Trainer Memorial Playground (at fishpond park) Project. He has a design that he likes with cost about $22,000. Voted to accept ship design, Approved. We plan to work with Town of Magrath to coordinate placement and installation.
- Lion Roger will start up the Lions Community Birthday Calendar fundraiser for next month. Suggested the 75th concept as a theme on the layout and perhaps a photo contest. We hope to have it ready to sell at Hometown Christmas event at end of Nov 2012. Lion Deanna to coordinate with potential Leo's to assist.
- Discussed and voted on setting up new Leo club at the Magrath Jr/Sr High School. All in favor. Lion Roger will proceed with paperwork and approvals.
- DIscussed Eye Glass collection project and what to do with some of our collected Lions Club memorabilia. Suggested we approach the Museum to see if they want any of these items (old Eye Glass collection box and Charlie Matkins vest and display cabinet).
- Reported on our spring Lions Garage Sale. Good event, Voted to make this an annual event as well. Lion Tracy to head up this project for Fri May 11th next year.
- Passing of former Lion Dick Anderson of Magrath noted. Club sent flowers to the funeral. Lion Tom to be reimbursed $75 for same. Approved.
- Lion Roger noted Club Dues for 2012/13 are now due. They are $70 per member (2nd member in a family group is 1/2 or $35).
Some Projects on the Loose:
- Painting Mural/Leos (Deana),
- Birthday Calendar (Roger),
- Fishpond Playground (Tom),
- Clothing Exchange 2012 (Elizabeth)
Laurie-Ann: Tail Twister
Any other projects underway? Great ideas? Come prepared to report all good works. Thanks to all and see you there!